Monday, June 22, 2009

Destinations you will arrive at, eventually – the journey is important…

Regularly in life, we fail to stop to smell the roses, as they say…I’ve always believed in the journey being much more important than a single minded focus on reaching the destination (unless, of course, I’m late for a flight!).

Examining this in the literal context first; the fact hit me in a beautiful country recently. I was driving around, trying to get from point A to point B at a certain pace, as I needed to get there in time to do activity C. The scenery around me was, needless to say, stunning! For a while I did continue at a certain pace, in order to reach point B, but then I just realized that these moments in my life to enjoy such natural beauty might never come back. That’s when I started the stop-and-go routine and instantly felt my journey become a lot more fulfilling.

I then applied this into everyday life, and realized that we just forget to stop and simply gaze at the beauty of the life that is passing us by. No matter how one’s life is shaping out to be, the fact is that there’s always something great happening around us, which we tend to miss out on, because we’re so absorbed with getting to a destination, performing our daily tasks, abusing life for being unfair to us, or any of those million everyday things that take up all of our time and attention. We never really stop, look around and think – my life’s great (or, well, it could be worse anyway!). The relevance of applying this stop-and-go theory, I suppose, is that it puts us in a slightly happier state of mind; even if there’s nothing to look forward to, in one’s life, at least one can just stop, count blessings (however few they maybe – just having your life and limbs intact, for instance), and go again, forward on our unrelenting path – getting to point B is essential, after all.

3 comments:

  1. How profound! Let us all screw destination A and B and focus on whatever is in between, or at least stop and smell the flowers so to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wisdom can come only after a personal loss ...So did this happen after the speeding ticket?? ;)
    This has a pretty honest n fresh feel. Out of d many pieces that i've read on stopping to smell d roses, this by far has the most conclusive and definitive appeal when u say that getting to B is also essential. So while u enjoy the ride, don't forget the destination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thts exactly why i just go wid d flow :-)

    ReplyDelete